User Tools

Site Tools


meeting_notes_2006_11_15

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
meeting_notes_2006_11_15 [2006/11/23 15:55]
209.226.11.11
meeting_notes_2006_11_15 [2013/09/28 17:06] (current)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +====== WT meeting: November 15th, 2006 ======
 +
 +
 +Present: Dory, Edward, Ana Maria, Michael, Gabe, Paul Dowling
 +
 +==== Gladstone ====
 +
 + * Michael met with Magda and Chris today
 + * they are interested
 + * very important to them: smtp smoothness
 + * G would like to invisibly redirect all outgoing smtp connections from all of our hotspots to a special-purpose smtp server that we maintain, so that smtp always works without any configuration changes on the client side
 + * NO ONE ELSE IS OFFERING THIS YET, so when we do offer it, let's make some noise
 + * it's a little sketchy privacy-wise,​ but if people are concerned about privacy (and adequately savvy), they should be using secure SMTP and/or a VPN anyway, in which case they'​ll be unaffected
 + * the nice thing about this approach is that it "just works"
 + * it'll take a while to set it up -- in the meantime, let's simply announce the smtp server for each spot
 + * launch in time for state of the art -- Michael following up
 +
 +
 +==== stickers ====
 +
 + * ink is peeling off -- maybe it's not-so-compatible with Edward'​s printer?
 + * Edward will give Gabe the overcover stuff
 + * Dory will tweak colours, and add crop marks
 + * Gabe will order more sticker sheets (inkjet and/or laser?)
 +
 +
 +==== Paul has a bunch of places he wants to sign up ====
 +
 + * G to send him link to portal page, pitch kit PDF
 + * can a venue pay $150 fee for three years instead of $50 each year
 + * yes -- and it protects them from price increases during the time for which they'​ve paid
 + * but the entire amount is still nonrefundable
 +   * Edward: we need to think about network membership renewals for some of the venues soon
 +
 +==== December meeting & social: scheduling ====
 +
 + * cancel the meeting
 + * move the social to Monday, December 11th
 +
 +==== January event ====
 +
 + * organizing something ​
 + * wifi roach coach
 + * one wifi-wimax backpack
 + * one wifi repeater backpack
 + * lots of testing required
 + * lots of battery work required
 + * need flyers
 + * scheduling, 'cause it's during the day
 + * drill batteries?
 + * solar?
 + * very complicated;​ let's hold off for now
 + * next steps via email
 +
 +----
 +
 +===== ACTION ITEMS: =====
 +  * Michael to follow up with Gladstone; goal is to install there by uTOpia2 launch on Nov 26
 +  * Dory will tweak colours in sticker art
 +  * Gabe to order more sticker material and find other printing options
 +  * Edward will (remind us to) contact venues who need to pay for another year of service
 +
 +
 +===== UNCLAIMED ACTION ITEMS: =====
 +
 +  * figure out what the SMTP server is for each of our hotspots, and find a way to include that info on the portal page
 +  * start working on a network-wide SMTP server, including some method of tracking (so that we can link abuse back to the associated WT user account), and the redirection on the routers
 +  * pick a place and (optionally) plan for the December social/​holiday party
 +  * begin discussing the wifi roach coach
 +